Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Indoor garden

Earth Day is approaching and there is still a lot to do. It is time to clean the yard so Spring flowers can bloom. Time is approaching to start the garden and ideas are flutter in your head. With all the plans for outside, what about inside? With the weather getting warmer, the kids are getting restless. You have good weather one day and then we are back to the cold. Spring is still in it infancy and it can be temperamental. How about a nice craft for indoor plants. Yes you can buy store bought plain looking planters or you can recycle some items and make some cute planters that will bring color to the house. This will help teach our kids about Earth Day and why recycling is a good thing. I have found lots of planter crafts by using the plastic soda pop bottles. Here are some great ideas for you to start with.

Remember that you can decorate any way you want and the kids will enjoy themselves. So be creative.

The top one is a vase for all the Spring flowers that are starting to bloom. My mother really likes to have flowers in the house all year round. As we are poor and I can't afford flowers once a week, I bought lots of fake one and I also got the incense candles that will give her fake Spring smell. Yes, my mother can tell the difference but sometimes you have just improvise and accept life as it is. My neighbors have lots of rose bushes so in time, I will be bring in fresh flowers.

The next one, it is a bigger version of the sprouts in the eggs. They are simple and cute and will go well with the kids other projects. Starting with seeds will help them understand how plants grow. So in reality you have a craft and a learning experience all wrapped up in one. And of course don't forget that you are teaching them to recycle.

Now the bottom one is cute if you don't want a face staring back at you. My niece had two pet tarantulas and they were always watching me. I had a hard time playing my video games with all those eyes staring at me. And I know that they were salivating when I was eating too. I was so glad when she came and got them as I could not take the eyes staring at me.

So on this project they are just cute little planters that can be designed in various styles. Paint them up to you favorite colors and enjoy them.

My mother love the color green and she loves frogs. On hers, she can draw little frogs. Shanti is multicolored and she is a hippy at heart. She loves the bright and vibrant colors mixed together.

As for me, my favorite color is purple but I have a gothic streak so I would do mine in red and black. Instead of flowers I may do jewels or draw a bat, maybe.

Now remember your flowers and ask you local flower shop about the correct flowers and plants. In these planters you do not have proper irrigation so you need to plant the correct plants.

I am not an expert, you can get your Ouija board out and ask my past plants. That is how I discovered that all plants need different amount of water. Overwatering and not proper drainage is the highest rate of murder on plants.

We have not done these yet but I have Shanti on Saturday and soon it will be Summer vacation and I will have to make plans on the crafts that she can do with mom while I am at work.

So enjoy and I hope this helps you out and gives you an idea or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment