Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

April 6, Plan your Epitaph Day

 
According many sites Plan your Epitaph Day is April 6th and November 2nd. As November 1st is part of the Day of the Dead and Mexico created Plan you Epitaph Day. April 6th day was US born but there is not enough information on its creation. No matter what day it is, it is good to make you plans. On the serious side, are you sure that whom ever is going to take care of you after you are gone can be trusted. Will they agree to your wishes?



My mother and I do not want the traditional funeral and view. We do not want to be put on displace. We both want to be cremated and we want a celebration of our lives. Mom wants her epitaph to read "I came, I conquered, I left."


I watched a great short lived show Wonderfalls. Jaye is a graduate of Brown University but decides to become a store clerk and live in a trailer park. Her mother wrote a new book and everyone got a blurb for the dust cover. First time around all she got was one sentence but on the second publishing she got to write her own. Jay wrote "Daughter Jaye lives in Niagara Falls. Her blurb and life are a work in progress."

I like that quote so I want my epitaph to be, "My life was a work in progress as so will be my afterlife."

Here are some famous epitaphs:

"The best is yet to come." Frank Sinatra
"This is the last of Earth! I am content!" John Quincy Adams (1767 - 1848)
"A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough" Alexander the Great
"Well this was fun, let's dit again sometime." Quniaron Bellthing (1930-2004)
"That's all, folks!" Mel Blanc (Porky Pig voice)
"Don't Try" Charles Bukowski
"Here lies a man whknew how tenlist the service of better men than himself." Andrew Carnegie
"Hey Ram" (Translated "Oh, God") Mahatma Gandhi
"Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty I'm Free At Last." Martin Luther King, Jr.
"She did it the hard way" Bette Davis
"Nothing's So Sacred As Honor And Nothing's So Loyal As Love" Wyatt Earp
"I had a lover's quarrel with the world" Robert Frost
"Cast a cold eye On life, on death. Horseman, pass by!" W. B. Yeats 
"Truth to your own spirit" Jim Morrison
"Curiosity did not kill this cat." Studs Terkel
"I told you so, you damned fools." H. G. Wells
"Against you I will fling myself unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!" Virginia Woolf

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

"Call Me Trimtab" (A trimtab is the smallest part of a rudder for a ship or airplane, and controlls the direction of the craft. He was probably alluding
how much power one individual can have in the world.) R. Buckminster Fuller

"Workers of all lands unite. The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx









No comments:

Post a Comment