Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Secret Garden

Someone sent me this on Pinterest and I had to share it with you. I want to try this with Shanti and Addie. I found the website at http://www.redtedart.com/2014/02/17/grass-caterpillars/


They used tights and stuffed them with compost and grass seed. You need to decorate the faces before the grass grows. To make the segments, you tie string around it. These are just too cute and I can't wait to do this with the girls.




Here are some cute little garden rocks. Now don't forget that these will be outside and you will need to use outside paint. The paint will stain clothes so be careful. Make sure that you use outdoor glue if you are gluing. The Ladybugs and Caterpillars are just too cute, but there are lots more bugs that you can do.
A spiral garden is cute for the yard. You start with a mound and then start at the top with the rock and work down. If we had room I would do this but with our dogs and the pool, we have no room. Don't worry about drainage as the water is supposed to work itself down. You can plant herbs or you can plant flowers.

Here is another cute idea for the kids. Let the kids make their own garden. You can use a pool but you will need to make holes in the bottom and on the sides as you will need drainage. The other thing that you need to remember is that you will kill the grass underneath it. Your garden will also need lots of sunlight, so think about where you will put it before you start. When creating the holes you can use a knife or a drill. The hole doesn't need to be large but big enough for drainage. Then you will need to cover up the holes so the dirt won't leak out. You can use window screen to cover up the holes. Then you can add the dirt. When planting your seeds, remember not to bury them too deep and with your first watering, you want to give it a good soaking but make sure that you do it lightly. Use a water can or use the lightest setting on you hose attachment. You want to soak the seeds but you don't want them to drain away. After you are done you can add decorations or rock bugs that you made. Depending on your yard and neighborhood will determine if you want to add a fence or not. For our area, if we did this I would have to make a top for it, as we have too many cats in the area. I would take some of the extra fencing and make a top. There are lots of possibilities on what you can do.

I hope you enjoy some of the ideas I gave you. Hope you and the kids will enjoy and have fun. My mother has lots of old pots all over the garage, so maybe this year I will make some and put them around. The area past the sidewalk has been dug up so many times that I can't get grass to grow again, so I may put a pot out there. So enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment